Happy Heart Day! Jeff and I decided to do our Valentine date in the morning instead of night because he had to be at the Boone Home by 1:30pm for an event. So, we reserved tickets online to the top of the Arch, and left for downtown St. Louis at 8am. It took us a little over an hour to get there, but we made it in time for our elevator to the top! We didn't take any pictures on the outside of the arch because it was so cold and cloudy, and we already have pictures of it from this summer. It was fun exploring and being a "tourist" again, even if we were in and out of the Arch and the museum in only about an hour flat. I put on my Adventure Shoes that I walked all over Europe in, and I found myself wanting to explore EVERYTHING!

It was cold and cloudy outside, and we were early, so we had a tiny capsule elevator to ourselves. I was definitely not expecting the elevators to be that small: there were 8 little elevators and each one had 6 seats in it, although Jeff and I pretty much took up a whole one with our long legs.

At the very highest part of the arch.

Jeff gazing out at the view--the floor in the observation room was curved like a hill!

The windows were tiny, so we had to lean on the slanted wall to see out-- kind of scary! After we had been up top for a little while, we felt the floor start swaying a little in the breeze, and I said "Let's get out of here!" All those high cathedrals and towers we climbed in Europe were much sturdier than this flimsy little arch.

I didn't love the elevator ride because it was so cramped and jerky, and it felt like the whole thing was going to putter out on us! After we arrived at the bottom, we strolled through the Museum of Westward Expansion before heading for home. A few hours after we got home, the sun came out and melted the clouds away!
We love exploring new places!
No comments:
Post a Comment