Sunday, July 4, 2010

Amazing Grape

Dear faithful viewers: aren’t you grateful that I’m using today’s nausea-free hour to update this blog? I call it a nausea-free hour, but that isn’t entirely accurate…so I think my creativity will suffer. I had my first ultrasound this week, even though I was only 8 weeks along at the time, and they even gave me a picture!!!

IMG_8673

I’m glad she labeled the baby blob because I can rarely tell what’s what in ultrasound pictures. I heard the little one’s heart beating and I saw the teeeeeny tiny pinpoint of the heart pumping away on the screen. Even though the levels of my nausea left me with little doubt that things are going just fine in there, it was still reassuring to SEE it and HEAR it.

I called this post Amazing Grape because it’s pretty amazing that this baby manages to grow at all with my no-food menu! I have been subsisting on white grape juice, apple juice, Carnation Instant breakfast mixed with soy milk, and the very occasional Wheat Chex. All of these things look/taste about the same going in as going out, so they are on my “safe” list.

You may be wondering what happened to the magic Zofran anti-puke medicine that I got at the hospital last week. Well, for some reason I have been barfing it up before it can start working right. Bummer! I call my mom every other day with my pathetic-ness and she reminds me that this won’t last forever. One of my few comforts.

As for Jeff and Jay, they are being so patient with my stay-in-bed- most-of-the-day scheme. Jay plays happily all over the house, and he loves tackling the dogs. Jeff takes good care of him.

Jeff got a summer job this week!!! He will be working as a “math expert” at a summer school for the month of July. The program called to offer Jeff’s dad the job, but he will be gone a lot this month, so Jeff went on over to apply, and randomly walked in on the training. He answered a complicated question like the genius he is, and they hired him on the spot! The school only meets Tues-Fri, so that is nice for Jeff’s invalid wife—I only have 4 days a week to fend for myself and care for Jay. Another random perk from this job--they are all high-tech, so each teacher was given an iPad!

Jeff’s latest photographic prowess:

_IGP0243
Mt. Adams

_IGP0246
Mt. St. Helens

_IGP0275
The opening to Ape Cave, a huge 1.5 mile long lava tunnel near Mt. St. Helens. Jeff and His Dad visited it last weekend.

_IGP0252
Dan in the Ape Cave tunnel!

OK, I usually try to make a nice conclusion to each post, but my barf-free hour is nearly up so I’ll just say adios, amigos!

PS Happy Independence Day!!!

2 comments:

Feinmemmy said...

So sorry about the nauseau! That sounds like no fun. I am super jealous of Jeff's iPad, though--let me know if he likes it! Part of me wants to save up and buy one, but there are a lot of people frowning on the idea...

Jake and Krista said...

Oh my gosh Shaina! YOu are a trooper to have any more kids at all! I would have called it quits after The first if I was so deathly ill. Good luck~ I HOPE it doesn't last too long.