This morning dawned bright and springy with happy chirpy children. Jeff went to church early for a meeting. I felt like a supermom for giving Jay a hair cut and bathing, dressing, and feeding both children (and myself) before Jeff came back to pick us up for church. Maybe it only worked because I didn’t eat breakfast in the midst of the hustle-bustle (fast Sunday and all). Who knows.
Anyways, when Jeff returned, we buckled the kids into the car and gave them each a little toy to hold/play with on the 17 minute drive to church. Rose’s “toy” was an unopened Nature Valley granola bar (she likes the crinkle). Right as we were merging onto the highway, Rose made this weird noise. When I looked back, she had rammed the granola bar into her tonsils and triggered her gag reflex. You know what’s coming…yes, a much stinkier, yuckier version of Rose’s breakfast was soon globbing all over her crisp clean very cute Sunday dress and down into the car seat.
Jeff pulled over onto the shoulder of highway 82 and I jumped out to try and maybe mop up the barf and salvage the dress and the freshly washed babe underneath it. I grabbed our stash of napkins from the glove box to do the job, but the wind snatched them from me and blew them down the highway. There was too much yucky-ness for some wimpy fast food napkins to handle anyway. Recognizing defeat, we accepted the fact that we’d be horrifically late to church, and we started for home.
Except there are no exits on the highway between Grandview (where we live) and Prosser (where our church building is). So we had to drive all the way to the first Prosser exit (5 very long, stinky-pukey-stench-ed minutes), and then turn around and drive the 10 even longer ickier minutes back to our home. Did I mention that there was a little barf on my hands during that drive? Shudder. Jeff and I were glad to be fasting because there was no food in our bellies to threaten us as we breathed in Rose’s fumes on that intense drive home.
At home I gave Rose a second bath and put her in a fresh dress. We rinsed out all the grossness from the car seat cover, spread a blanket over the hard plastic seat, buckled everyone in, and once again we were off to church (but not before I put a roll of paper towels, a big pack of wet wipes, and a change of clothes in the trunk). Nobody got to play with toys on this second drive.
We arrived at church 45 minutes late, shattering our family record of tardiness by a solid 35 minutes. Sacrament meeting has never felt so short! Luckily, once we got out of the smelly car into the fresh air (and settled our own writhing stomachs), we were able to laugh heartily about this completely unpredictable predicament.
Our sweet Rose.
3 comments:
Matthew puked in the car twice while we were driving home to Idaho once. Needless to say we bought a bottle of fabreez at the gas station to help us survive. At least she just gagged and doesn't have the flu!
Di I tell you about the trip to Utah over Christmas? Baleigh had a belly PACKED full of milk. She got carsick an hour into the drive. Projectile vomit EVERYWHERE!!! We stripped her down in the freezing weather, did our best to clean it off the seats, floor, carseat and blankets, and then kept spraying body spray every few hours to keep us all from throwing up ourselves. 10 hours later, we pull up to my sisters house. Chad took the car in the next morning to get it professionally cleaned. They cleaned it twice and it still wreaked for months afterwards. Kids+vomit in the car=no fun for anyone. Sorry you had such a crazy Sunday! I was wondering why you were late. Now I know....
Oh man! Barfing is SOOO not fun to take care of! Yikes... you're even more of a super mom for not barfing yourself!
Post a Comment