Monday, June 2, 2014

Last Week

The better I feel, the more pictures I take. Or maybe it’s the excitement of early summer fun combined with energetic cute kids. Or all of the above! Here’s the week in pictures:

SATURDAY, MAY 24TH
Memorial Day weekend! Rose and I went shopping in the Tri Cities together. We went to Goodwill and Target. Gasp, I know—so adventurous. It was my first big outing without Jeff, and it wore me OUT! (it’s a 40 minute drive to the Tri Cities). But we found some cute summer clothes for Rose who has been wearing her too-small winter wardrobe for about two months too long. I came home and passed out asleep for a few hours, woke up to eat, and then went to bed around 8pm.

IMG_2947

Playing Jay’s birthday game, Boom Boom Balloon. It’s awesome and ends with a POP.

IMG_2948 
Party animal on her way to shop.

IMG_2951

It’s sunglasses season! I love having a little girl to take clothes shopping. It defies reason that someone who despises clothes shopping as much as I do can love to take a little daughter shopping as much as I also do.

photo 2

Showing off the outfit she picked out. She loves that shirt so much.

 

SUNDAY, MAY 25TH
I went to church for all 3 hours for the first time in 3 months! I taught my primary class and everything! It was exhausting. I came home ready for another long nap but decided to do a blog post about Jay’s birthday instead. Then Rose snuggled up and took a snooze of her own, but by then I had to eat something so I eased out from the recliner and left my warm little girl bundle snuggled up. After dinner, we brought Jay’s birthday stomp rocket out to the field behind our house. Those things are so much fun.

IMG_2955 
IMG_2959 

IMG_2963 

IMG_2965

IMG_2969

Jeff really got in to it.

IMG_2973

IMG_2964

I always have Jay change out of his Sunday khaki pants right away to avoid holes, but I’m not as strict with making him change his shirt, so that explains the bowtie with jeans look.

IMG_2972

 

MONDAY, MAY 26TH
Happy Memorial Day! Sadly, we didn’t do anything patriotic. We just stayed home and enjoyed our first taste of the coming summer when Daddy will be home home HOME for two months! I felt amazing enough to—wait for it—not take my nausea medicine! And Jeff blew up the pool Rose and I picked up from Target. That thing turned out to be ENORMOUS. I mean being 6 feet tall, I know that 72 inches is big, but 72 inches of puffy blow-up pool is giant. It took a while for crazy Jeff to blow it up with his lungpower. He wanted the challenge, even though 4 houses down, his parents have an air compressor. I left him to it and an hour or two later, the kids went swimming. Layne came over to swim too. The hose water was frigid and it wasn’t very hot outside, so mostly they stood in the pool and splashed around a little. Rose’s new swimsuit turned out to be saggy-baggy and huge on her! The bottom part wouldn’t even stay on her little hips so I tried attacking it with my sewing machine. That helped a little, but the butt was still baggy and the top sagged halfway down her chest. We’ll be saving that one for next year!

IMG_2981

IMG_2978

I also made some smooth, beautiful bread that day. It rarely looks this pretty, so I took a picture of it. Oddly enough, I still have a major aversion to bread, even homemade. So the fresh, warm smell of this bread baking was actually rather nauseating. Bummer for me, but the smell of store bread is even grosser, so I chose the lesser of two evils and baked some.

 

TUESDAY, MAY 27TH
Tuesday was a day of doom for me. My Monday without nausea medicine really bit me in the belly HARD. I woke up heaving and didn’t really stop for the rest of the day. Jeff came home from work early and took me to the hospital outpatient clinic for a liter of fluids and liquid promethazene, but I was still puking when we left. Later that evening, Jeff and Dan gave me a blessing and then Jeff drove me to the ER around 9pm. They pumped me with two more liters and some liquid zofran, and miraculously my heaving stomach stopped heaving. We came home around 1am to a Grampa Dan snoozing on the floor (he babysat during the graveyard shift for us, blessed man). My arm was full of holes and kind of bruised because when I get that dehydrated, they can’t get needles into my collapsed veins. Eeew. My hazy memory of the day tallied up at least 14 separate barfs. Talk about backsliding! It was horrific. Lesson learned: take the medicine.

WEDNESDAY, MAY 28TH
This was a recovery day, with small sips and little nibbles. Jeff stayed home from work to take care of me, five star husband that he is. The sky was glorious. I didn’t barf. After dinner, Jeff and the kids entertained me by playing Punch Out on the Wii. It is a goofy cartoony boxing game, and watching it made me laugh so hard that I felt the soreness from yesterday’s barf-a-thon in my diaphragm.

IMG_2995

IMG_2987

IMG_2988

Rose carefully watched Jeff and Jay play, and when it was her turn, she DOMINATED Jay! It was awesome.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/t6gZoNo4p0A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I’m having issues with youtube letting me post my videos onto this blog, so here’s the link to the video in case that other one didn’t work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6gZoNo4p0A

 

THURSDAY, MAY 29TH
Another take it easy recovery day. With great effort, I managed to make myself the cinnamon rolls of my dreams. They’ve never ever turned out this well for me. Moist, melty-sugary-buttery with just the right amount of cinnamon, they did not even need any frosting. It was good to enjoy a food item after Tuesday.

photo 1    

FRIDAY, MAY 30TH
In the morning a bird flew in through our open front door! Jay had opened the door for some fresh air, and a cute little birdie flew right inside. I was feeling too feeble to get up and chase it around the house, so I called Grampa Dan to come rescue us. He came right over and shooed the bird out in no time. After that excitement and some breakfast, I organized the kids’ clothes and then my own closet, putting away winter clothes at last. It was hard to put away my running clothes, knowing that the next time I run it will practically be Christmas. But I did it. Then I gave Jay a much-needed haircut.

At 1:30pm, we went to our elementary school with a stack of important documents and registered Jay for kindergarten. I was surprised at the surge of emotion I felt when the lady came to take Jay away for his screening test. I felt ROBBED, like I wanted to tower from my height over the little lady and boom “who said you could take my boy away from me?” Instead I swallowed my sob, patted Jay’s back and told him to go with the nice lady for a test. He came back with a cookie and a sticker, so it must’ve been ok. My first experience with school. Sniff. After such an emotionally-fraught half hour in the school, we decided to go to the park next door to enjoy the shady trees and warm air. I showed Jay and Rose how to make little houses in the roots around the base of gnarly big trees, like I used to do when I was little. They built and furnished little root-houses for rock people for a long time. Then it was home to get ready for family movie night! We made pizza and watched the live-action Peter Pan, one of my all-time favorite movies.

IMG_2998

Playing with sticks

IMG_2999

IMG_3005

Building root-houses

IMG_3009

IMG_3011

Playing with Daddy

IMG_3013

 

SATURDAY, MAY 31ST
Grampa Dan cut some roses from his garden and let Rose bring me my favorite peace roses.

IMG_3014

 

SUNDAY, JUNE 1ST
Happy birthday to Jeff! It was a low key birthday for him. We went to church. I gave him a small present—a card game called Guillotine—“the game where you win by getting a head!” His other present was that comfy desk chair Rose and I found at Goodwill, but we gave it to him a week early since it was too big to hide.

After church, Grampa Dan flew kites with Jay and Rose. They did a great job!

Sunday night, we had the family over for birthday dinner, which I actually cooked. Even more surprisingly, it turned out super pretty and tasty! We had sausage penne, corn on the cob, and cold watermelon. Jeff’s mom brought the brownies. Success! After the kids were in bed, we used our iPads to play a cross-country family game of Ticket to Ride with Brad and Dani (in Utah) and Jesse (in Missouri). Jeff won both games like a pro. Birthday victory is sweet.

IMG_3027

IMG_3026

IMG_3030

Sausage penne birthday dinner. Even I ate some of it and liked it!

IMG_3031

Jay and Rose had a “sleepover” on the floor of their room while we played Ticket to Ride.

And that brings us up to TODAY! Whew, I hope I can keep up better this week so I don’t have to do such a lengthy catch-up post again any time soon. Like most things are for me these days, it’s tiring!

No comments: