Monday evening (May 16th) was breezy but mellow, with golden sunlight bathing the peaceful fields behind our house. After dinner, I suggested that for family night we could go on a scooter ride together. The kids rushed to get ready. Jeff was away at a coaches meeting, so it was just me and my kids, passing the golden hour outside together. We have had so few days with nice weather this spring (wind, rain, wind, snow, windstorms, hail, wind). Even though the breeze was a bit stronger and brisk-er than my ideal, it was still wonderful to just BE outside together.
We scootered the entire length of the paved pathway behind our house, for a total of one mile. Amber chose to ride her bike. When we arrived at the grassy field at the far end of the path, we stopped to explore, play, and bask in the sunshine. Rose scampered off to climb her favorite tree. Amber started collecting pinecones. Jay walked around, plotting ways to tease his little sisters. I sat down in the plush green grass and took it all in.
This has always been my favorite way to spend time with my kids: quality time outside, whether it's biking, scootering, walking, hiking, exploring, or just sitting in the open air. I feel the calmest when I'm outside, like I'm connected to the earth (as cheesy as that sounds). That calm centered connectedness makes it easier for all of us to let go of concerns, quibbles, worries, and irritations that often arise among kids. When we're outdoors, I have more space (both internal and external) for their noise, outbursts, conversation, and questions than anywhere else. We let go of all that and just be.
Jay started throwing pinecones at Rose, who was high up in a tree. Amber started throwing pinecones at Jay, and an epic battle commenced. Jay and Amber raced around the field, pelting each other with pinecones. Eventually, Rose descended from her tree and joined in the fray. As often occurs when these three kids do battle, they ended up in a laughing yelling heap of tangled limbs and wild hair. I sat and took pictures of it all, laughing with them.
We spent a refreshing, soul-filling hour outside before scootering back to the garage.




















No comments:
Post a Comment