The first day of school was on the late date of Thursday, September 1st. Of course, teachers including Jeff, always go back to work a week before school starts. And high school sports still needed ten practices before the first competition, so official cross country practice started almost two whole weeks before school. A few days before fall sports began, there was a parent meeting. So even though we had a so-called extended summer with our late school start date, we were not free to wander or go on adventures for the last 2.5 weeks of summer break.
Jay is in 8th grade, Rose is in 6th grade and her first year of middle school, and Amber is in 2nd grade.
Rose went on her traditional clothes shopping and lunch date with Grama Leslie. Amber was going to go, but she got invited to a birthday party last minute and chose to swim with her friends instead. Rose loves one-on-one time and had a lovely afternoon eating fancy cookies and finding cute shirts with her grandma.
On Monday, August 29th, I took Amber to meet your teacher night at her elementary school. She has the same second grade teacher that Rose had four years ago.
On Wednesday, August 31st, the night before the first day of school, Jeff gave father's blessings to his three kids. It filled our family room with a sweet spirit and we all felt happy afterwards.
The big day dawned at last: on Thursday, September 1st, Jay and Rose got up early and were ready for school by 7am. Even Amber was up and ready early even though her school starts over an hour later than the middle school. On normal school days, Jeff will drive Jay and Rose to the middle school, but on the first day of school Jeff had gone in for an early morning run with a few members of the cross country team, so I got to drive my firstborn son to his last first day of middle school and my firstborn daughter to her first-ever day of middle school. Amber came along for the ride because she's too young to leave at home alone.
Rose confidently climbed out of the car and walked to the school with her brother. Later, they both said that their first day was good. Not too detailed, but they each do have a friend in a few of their classes. Rose said she loved all of the food options available for middle school lunch.
Meanwhile, after we dropped the big kids off at middle school, Amber and I had an entire hour at home together before she had to leave for school. So we took the time to read some verses of the Book of Mormon together and then we read a library book that Amber had been begging me to read all week. Amber did most of the reading. Then we filled out her first day of school page that I create for my kids every year.
At last, it was time for Amber to go to school. Jeff texted me and asked if I could drop off a key article of clothing that he had forgotten to pack before his run that morning, so on our way to Amber's school, we stopped by the high school. When I gave Amber the option to be dropped off at the front of the school or on the side by the playground, she chose the playground side. When I explained the after school pick-up plan one more time, she said "I know, Mom! I can do it!" Miss independent. Amber marched confidently onto the playground and never looked back.
Raising two bold confident daughters is intense.























2 comments:
😍😍😍
Need i say more?
“Amber is very intense at school.” I pose the question: is there a time when Amber isn’t intense? Doing everything all-in is HER!
Post a Comment