Last week might have been the busiest week of my adult life:
- Monday: housework, track practice, kids piano lessons, grocery store, 6th grade beginner band event for Rose, I had to submit middle school track meet entries online, and parent teacher conferences till 7:45pm for Jeff.
- Tuesday was our "easy day" of the week: demanding physical therapy appointment for me, housework, cooking, track prep and practice, and nothing else! We had dinner together as a family for the first and only time all week on Tuesday.
- Wednesday: final preliminary meeting with the contractor--work begins with demolition day on Tuesday, May 9th! Jay and I had a middle school track meet from 1:30-9:30pm way out in Naches, WA (an hour away), which included a stop at McDonald's for dinner with 35 middle schoolers on the way home. Jeff had track practice and then parent teacher conferences until 7:45pm (Jeff managed to slip away long enough to drive Rose and Amber home between track practice and conferences).
- Thursday: I had a creaky crackly chiropractor appointment, plus a very satisfying/tiring run, and 2+ hours at middle school track practice. A surveyor came out to our new house and marked the property corners, since they were nowhere to be found. And of course the corners on one side are not in a great place, so we're going to have to apply to the county for a lot line adjustment and who am I and how did all of this become the norm? Jeff was in Wenatchee at a high school track meet until 10:30pm.
- Friday: I met with a lawn sprinkler guy at our new house and he took measurements/got the lay of the land to convert the existing agricultural irrigation system into a backyard-style system. Then of course there was track practice in the afternoon. Jeff took a van full of his elite distance runners from the high school track team up to the Seattle area (Issaquah) for a distance festival track meet. He did not get home until after midnight.
The double: two nights of Jeff at parent teacher conferences and two challenging appointments for me (physical therapy and chiropractor). The triple: three track meets and three house prep meetings (contractor, surveyor, & lawn/sprinkler guy). Miraculously, we did manage to have family scripture every day this week, by reading a few verses in the morning before everyone scattered far and wide for the day. Jeff and I communicated via patchy brief phone calls when we could, which mostly consisted of me speed-talking-summarizing the latest news on the house and my little track team.
Also, our washing machine died a slow drawn out death over the past few weeks, so the laundry situation got rather limp and fragrant this week as we awaited the delivery of our new washer and dryer. We had to delay the delivery until Saturday because nobody was home for the four hour delivery window any other day this week.
By the time Saturday rolled around, we were still standing, though feeling a tad shaky and worn thin from the busyness of the week. But we had two acres of grass to mow and berries to water and weeds to whack! So the five of us went across the street and put in a few hours of house and yardwork. I removed curtain rods from the windows in preparation for demolition day, which begins this Tuesday. Jeff and I moved a few shelves that we want to save from the house to the barn (SO HEAVY, my poor skeleton nearly broke under the strain after my week of exhausting pinpointed physical therapy and chiropractic adjustments).
While I worked laboriously removing screws from the curtain rods, Jeff and the kids did yardwork. It was a gorgeous day--sunny but not too hot, and I was a little grumpy and jealous that everyone else was outside sneezing with the pollen rather than inside with me sneezing in the dust and old dog dander. I'll take pollen-sneezes over dust-dander sneezes any day! Jay was a champion and mowed most of the massive yard. We went home nearly 3 hours later feeling tired, dirty, and satisfied with our work.
I had been planning a Saturday morning run, but Saturday morning was over by the time we finished our yardwork! So I swallowed a granola bar and went on a Saturday lunchtime run. Somehow I found the energy to enjoy a sunny free glorious 6 mile run. It was a calculated risk, running my 6 mile loop, because given my small breakfast and hours of work, I knew I could bonk at any moment. Thankfully that placeholder granola bar held out and I was able to get into the zone and soak in the tranquility of a good sunshiny run.
Saturday evening we finally got around to celebrating Star Wars Day--May 4th--may the 4th be with you. We watched the season finale to the Mandalorian. Well, I was in the room while my family watched. Baby Yoda is adorable, but I think the rest of the Star Wars shows and movies are so boring! Unpopular opinion alert! Haha. Even though I did not like what we were watching, it was nice to snuggle up on the couch with my family after our long long busy busy week.
This morning, Jeff and I looked at each other with bleary eyes and said, "we survived!" Then we went to church, where Jeff taught the adult Sunday school class.
















1 comment:
VICTORY!
You win in every category this week . . . . Including Survival!
Post a Comment