The annual Brown Family gathering (also known as the Browncation) was held in Denver at my parents' roomy house during the first week of July. All of my siblings and their families converged on "the chateau" as we lovingly call the house for a week of fun chaotic family bonding. We spent the week hanging out together at my parents' house. We aren't an excursion family. The kids played all kinds of games, swam in the pool, rode scooters, watched shows, and played Nintendo. The adults played games, talked, watched the kids swim, and ate. We all admired the newest member of the family, one-week-old baby Andrew who was adorable. The big kids, parents, and grandparents went to the temple. It was a classic low-key Brown family gathering.
Jay was in heaven spending time with his cousin buddy Steve, and I barely saw him. Rose and Amber enjoyed doing lots of art projects and playing with cousins. All 12 of the cousins, from 15 year old Steve on down to 3 year old Della opened a restaurant called McConnor's. They sold the "McConnor's Special" which was a bowl of popcorn, Fritos, and crackers, with a strawberry on top. The currency was homemade construction paper cash in all denominations. When I went out to the playhouse to support the local business and buy a cracker from McConnor's, the kids bustled about adorably. I heard their voices across the lawn: "Get ready! We have a customer!"
We had a family night where Dad shared some inspiring stories from the mission he just completed serving as a counselor in the Denver North Mission. I went running with various family members on various days, and played my Mom's glorious Steinway piano. My Mom and I did our daily artwork together and I went to the grocery store almost every day with her. We went on our annual mother-sisters Athleta shopping trip, and all found an article of clothing to buy. Dad, Jeff, Jay, and I went to the local running shoe store (formerly Boulder Running Company, currently Fleet Feet), where Jay picked out a pair of new running shoes to replace his threadbare ones. Em took family pictures another night.
Basically, we did all of our usual simple Brown family reunion traditions, if such regular activities as swimming, eating, playing games, shopping, talking, and taking pictures can count as traditions.
PICTURES:
Walking in to the Pasco Airport: the journey begins!
Boarding the plane out of Pasco. We love the direct flight from Pasco to Denver.
Jeff and I were not paying attention to the flight attendant safety spiel, but when I looked over I saw Jay and Rose both carefully reading the safety information on the card as directed. It was sweet.
Window seat!
Sunny sweaty family run at a mile high altitude!
Cute girl cousins eating popcorn: Amber, AJ, and Della.
We gathered a the day after the twins' 5th birthday, so Brad rented a bouncy house to celebrate with the cousins.
Baby Andrew was so new, nobody was allowed to hold him. We all admired him longingly.
I love running on the peaceful Denver Highline Canal path.
The weather was actually rather cool for July, with highs in the low to mid 70s the whole week. Swimming was chilly!
Mother-sister Athleta shopping!
While we were at the mall I bought a rainbow inclusion/ally pin at last. I've been wanting a rainbow pin for a while now, but most of them were ugly. I found this rainbow pine tree pin at Eddie Bauer.
The big cousins played a LOT of Dungeons and Dragons. They are so intense and creative! [clockwise: Rose, Chase, Jay, and Steve]
A run with my Dad!
The kids played hard and crashed hard. Movies to recharge!
All of my siblings and their spouses playing cards. The only pictures I'm in are selfies, haha.
Dinner. Jay was cracking me up in the costume he found.
Grama Meri made waffles one morning!
McConnor's restaurant in the playhouse. These kids were so cute with their restaurant. They got mad at Steve for pretending to be the health department and trying to shut them down, haha.
Cousin temple trip to do baptisms for the dead! Steve baptized Dan, Jay, and Rose. Em and I were witnesses. My mom was working her temple shift in the baptistry. My Dad, Jeff, and Jesse did confirmations. It was a happy family time in the temple.
It was my first time going to the temple with Rose, since she just barely got old enough to go this year.
Grampa Charley and his four oldest/tallest grandkids: Jay, Dan, Rose, and Steve.
More swimming!
Family picture time! Rose and I goofed off while waiting our turn.
Another run!
Em took a few pictures of baby Andrew, and I snuck in a picture of my own.
Game time again.
Art with Mom!
This was a new kind of pen art that I attempted. It was absorbing and very fun to do all of the patterns.
On the last night (Friday), the big cousins attempted staying up all night. Rose lasted until 2am, and the rest lasted until 4am. They did not have any caffeine this year, which made it harder. Muahaha.
More gorgeous Highline Canal running.
Playing this piano gives me joy.
Rose and Amber loved painting in Grama Meri's art room.
Art selfie! Our art club theme was doors.
Tired kids, vegging after a week with cousins.
We love family time!
1 comment:
FUN TIMES!
And you preserve the memories PERFECTLY!
A hundred finger hearts to you:)
Post a Comment