Sunday, January 19, 2025

Jaylene's Baptism

While I was sitting in church a few months ago, I glanced to my left and thought I saw a familiar face sitting a few rows over. It took me a few minutes to place the face in my memory, and then I side-eyed her profile and second guessed myself for the rest of the meeting. After the closing prayer, I gathered my courage and went over to see if this was the person I thought it was. 

"Is that you, Jaylene?" I asked. 

"Yes, Mrs. White, how are you?" she replied, and gave me a big hug.

It was indeed Jaylene Munoz, a beloved former runner from our high school cross country team. She graduated in 2023. She was at her grandma's house in Sunnyside while the missionaries were teaching her grandma a few months ago, and she became interested in their message. She started coming to church more and more and the missionaries started teaching her in stead of her grandma. I was at the lesson where the missionaries first invited Jaylene to be baptized. She wasn't sure about it at that time, and I told her that Jeff would be happy and honored to baptize her if or when she decided to be baptized. A month or so later, I received a heart melting happy text message from Jaylene: 

"Mrs. White I hope you're having a good day :) I was meaning to ask if Mr. White could baptize me as I have my baptism scheduled for the 18th of this month :) I would like you guys to be there if possible as you guys made such a huge impact in my life. However I understand if he's unable to since swim is goin on and you guys can get busy. I'm sorry if its' short notice but I would understand any decision. Thank you for hearing me out."

SNIFF. This is the type of thing that we MAKE time for, no matter what! Jeff shortened swim practice on the day of Jaylene's baptism so he could make it there. Jaylene is dating the older brother of one of our current runners/swimmers, and his entire family came to the baptism too. I thought about them while I was writing my talk. I felt like two of my worlds were colliding! We don't talk about religion with our current athletes, but this was a baptism of a former athlete with a current athlete and his family in attendance! I wanted to say the right things!

Yesterday was the big day: January 18th, 2025. It was a beautiful sweet day that I will always remember. I gave a talk about baptism and Jeff baptized Jaylene. Then today during church, Jeff was able to do her confirmation and give her the gift of the Holy Ghost. Life is sweet and good.

A brief photographic stroll down memory lane...


Jaylene, on the far left, finishing a 5k cross country race in 2023, with our whole girls team (plus a special male someone) cheering her on. This is one of my favorite memories of coaching. This team was one of our breakthrough teams in terms of positive team culture, where everyone was like a big loud happy family that went back out on the course to cheer on a teammate who was struggling to finish. Jaylene was the heart of this team, and she ran with so much grit and courage, everyone felt inspired by her.

At the state cross country meet in 2023--this crew came to cheer on Andrew Garcia in his first state meet. That's Jaylene and her boyfriend Damian on the right, doing peace signs.


The happy text message.



Here's the talk I gave at the baptism:

Baptism Talk for Jaylene Muñoz-Chavez

By Shaina White January 18, 2025

Hello! Today is a good day. I met Jaylene about three and a half years ago, when she joined the Sunnyside High School cross country team. Coaching Jaylene for two seasons helped me get to know and appreciate her kindness, her work ethic, her sense of humor, and her desire to make good choices. I don't often get to see the kids I coach after they graduate, so I was very happy when Jaylene started coming to church a few months ago. Jaylene is a beautiful human being, and I feel so thankful to know her.

Getting ready for Jaylene’s baptism this week made me reflect on my own baptism, which was 30 years and 2 months ago! Since I was just 8 years old when I was baptized, I don’t remember a lot of the details of the day. I do remember wearing white bows in my hair and feeling nervous about being the center of attention. I also remember feeling in my young little heart that being baptized was a good thing, and it was the right choice. It felt good and right to follow Jesus Christ’s example and be baptized, so I made that choice, and I have always been thankful for it. 

So, let’s talk about baptism with a quick who, what, where, when, and why:

Who can baptize? Baptism must be performed by the proper priesthood authority. When Jesus Christ was on the earth, he had that priesthood authority and passed it on to his apostles. Once his apostles died, though, that priesthood authority was no longer on the earth until the early 1800s, when God restored the priesthood through Joseph Smith. Now we have the same gospel and priesthood that Jesus Christ had and taught while he was on the earth! So, who can baptize? A worthy man who holds this priesthood. 

What is baptism? It is the first ordinance of the gospel–the first step on the path back to Heavenly Father. We follow the pattern Jesus Christ gave us when he was baptized, which means baptism by immersion–going all the way under the water. 

At baptism, you make three covenants, or promises with God: 

  1. Take upon yourself the name of Jesus Christ
  2. Keep His commandments
  3. Serve Him to the end

Mosiah 18 is one of my favorite chapters in the Book of Mormon. Verses 8-11 review these baptismal covenants: 

“and now, as ye are desirous to come into the fold of God, and to be called his people, and are willing to bear one another’s burdens, that they may be light; Yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even until death, that ye may be redeemed of God, and be numbered with those of the first resurrection, that ye may have eternal life—Now I say unto you, if this be the desire of your hearts, what have you against being baptized in the name of the Lord, as a witness before him that ye have entered into a covenant with him, that ye will serve him and keep his commandments, that he may pour out his Spirit more abundantly upon you?”

These verses use important words while describing the baptismal covenants: desire and willing. God always allows and wants us to choose for ourselves. Jaylene came to feel that desire in her heart, and she made the choice for herself to be baptized.

Where can we get baptized? Jaylene will be baptized in the font down the hall in this church building.

When do we get baptized? Each person can choose to be baptized when they feel ready. The earliest a person can get baptized is at age 8, when they are old enough to understand what it means and to make that choice for themselves.

Why baptism? Why do we need baptism? We are baptized to be cleansed from our sins, to become members of Jesus Christ’s church, and to take the first step along the covenant path that leads back to God. We don’t have to get re-baptized every time we want to be cleansed from our sins; instead we repent by praying and asking God for forgiveness. Then we take the sacrament at church each Sunday to renew our baptismal covenants, or in other words to renew our commitment to keep trying our best to follow Jesus Christ. 

Baptism is the beginning! I’m sure Jaylene feels how much there is to learn! 

Our living prophet, President Russell M. Nelson said, “Whatever questions or problems you have, the answer is always found in the life and teachings of Jesus Christ. Learn more about His Atonement, His love, His mercy, His doctrine, and His restored gospel of healing and progression. Turn to Him! Follow Him!” (Russell M. Nelson, “The Answer is Always Jesus” April 2023 General Conference)

I have been a member of this church for 30 years and I still have so much to learn, so don't worry, Jaylene! We can keep learning together! The Lord teaches us little by little as we try our best to study and pray and follow Him every day. I know that Jesus Christ lives and loves each one of us, and that baptism is the beginning of a wonderful journey.





On Saturday afternoon, I sent Jaylene the pictures we took at her baptism, and she gave the sweetest responses. We love Jaylene!

1 comment:

meri4joy said...

What an excellent, PERFECT talk! Beautifully simple and full of love & joy!