Middle school track season started this week! While I made the spreadsheet with all 65 kids who signed up for MS track, I officially crunched the middle school track numbers. 86% of last year's 7th graders on the track team joined the team this year. 66% of my 8th graders last year joined the high school track team. Retention is looking pretty snazzy, but that's not all: middle school kids kept registering throughout the week, so by the end of the first week of the season, 77 kids were on my roster! I believe registration closed on Friday, so that should be it.
50 of those kids attended practice at least once this week, with a daily average of about 40. That's a 44% increase in attendance since last year! 8 more kids have COME to track practice this year than the total number of kids who REGISTERED last year! I don't know why numbers are up so much this year, but I am here for it! Every afternoon during and after practice, my neurons were exploding with the effort of learning and remembering so many new names.
Monday, March 16th was on my mind for months as Day One, and now it is over! We didn't have track practice on Monday; instead we met in the middle school gym with all the other spring sports so the athletic director could talk to the kids. Then we gathered as a team, made introductions of coaches and top returning athletes, and talked about the season. After the meeting, us 3 track coaches had a brief powow to plan our week. I was done by 3:30pm. Whew!
My head was bursting with logistics after all that. I felt the heavy burden of being in charge, but while I was standing in front looking at the faces of the 34 middle school track kids that showed up to the meeting, I felt so happy and excited to get to know them and be their coach. They're so cute! They chose to join my team and learn from me! It melted my heart and made me happy. I think this means I'm in the right place. But that head coach burden is still pretty heavy! I spent all of Monday evening marveling at the opposing dual emotions: heavy burden of leadership mixed with the joy of coaching and teaching those eager kids.
This is my 4th season as head MS track coach, and we are trying some new things, so it should be interesting! I can do this. It won't be perfect, and it will be chaotic and tiring, but I like this job and I am getting better and better at it. I can do it!
As usual, Amber walked to the track after her elementary school ended each day, arriving about 10 minutes before the end of middle school practice. Since I stay on for an extra hour of high school track practice after middle school practice ends, Amber had time to burn. She ran 2 miles around the high school track on Monday afternoon, weaving around high school runners in just shorts and a sports bra. That girl is Confident. I love it. She also made friends with a high school girl who also likes Legend of Zelda videogames. It was funny and cute--Amber was a little bit taller than the 15 year old girl and they talked enthusiastically about the good music in the games they like.
On Monday the seminary teacher texted me a list of upcoming dates that they need a second adult in seminary. I found myself signing up to go to seminary 3 days in the next 3 weeks! I'm not sure why; I just did it. It's going to be brutal. But I'm already up at that time, soooo oh well. I went to seminary on Tuesday morning.
Jeff thinks he has turned a corner with his health--he felt like his "normal self" for the past two weeks--his dysautonomia symptoms have evaporated. It seems that his body has recovered from its prolonged reaction to his latest bout of Covid! Yay! We are cautiously optimistic! Jeff thinks that removing nightshades from his diet helped him recover way faster this time. On Tuesday, a kid came to Jeff's first period class wearing clothes drenched in marijuana smoke, and Jeff started having an allergic reaction. So he called the office, waited 10 minutes for a sub, and then came home to take Benadryl and sleep it off. Soooo if it's not one thing, it's another! Seriously! Thankfully he recovers from that particular allergy within a day.
Tuesday was the first day of MS track practice! It went pretty well! 28 girls and 14 boys came -- twice as many girls as boys!! I'm loving this girl momentum we're building with track! I practically had smoke coming out of my ears from trying to learn so many new names, but hopefully the kids keep coming back. I had fun teaching the kids the sprint drills. In my smaller group at the end of practice, we worked on band resisted bounding, and it was awesome to watch the kids improve visibly from the beginning to the end of the 25 minute clinic. Woot! My throat is a bit scratchy from trying to talk loudly for 90 minutes. After MS practice ended, I spent 45 minutes with the high school track kids. I love knowing so many kids! My heart just expands when I see all of them.
Amidst his marijuana allergy and subsequent double dose of Benadryl on Tuesday, Jeff somehow went to track practice Tuesday afternoon but then hit another Benadryl wall and stayed home from the high school orchestra concert that night. I was pretty bummed and sad that he didn't come with me. I go to more concerts alone than with Jeff, and it is such a lonely feeling to arrive alone, especially when this time it wasn't his ongoing health condition; it was stupid secondhand marijuana smoke. Jay and Rose played so well in their concert! Rose played cello for 2 songs and piano for 1 song. It was very impressive. Jay played bass cool as a cucumber for all 3 of his group's songs. I really liked the music they played. We learned that the email about solo and ensemble state performances was misinterpreted, so as alternates Jay and Rose don't know yet if they will go to state. But their musical abilities are blossoming and blooming!
Day 2 of middle school track practice (Wednesday) was a bit hectic, mostly because I was tired from the previous long day, so I felt a bit frazzled and unorganized at a few junctions. Practice itself went well; I just mistimed the box jump plyometrics portion of our practice, so we didn't have time for the running because we had to go straight into field events. It was fine, I just felt frazzled and tired. I did learn 10 new names though! Hopefully they stick long term!
On Wednesday night, we ate leftovers for dinner in overlapping waves, so 4/5 of us were at the table together. After dinner before showering, Jeff and I went out to the shed to do a little bit of work: Jeff changed the two front tires on our mower (one was flat), and I hoed weeds around my sweet little tulip sprouts right outside the shed. We were out there for about 20 minutes, and it was kind of crazy to do outdoor work AFTER practice and AFTER dinner! I was surprised that we both had energy and inclination to do it, but I have been really wanting to get started on yardwork.
Rose had science fair part 2 in the tri cities all day on Thursday. The bus left at 7am and got back to the high school at 7:30pm. Rose was so tired! She accidentally dropped a container full of rice by the fridge while getting dinner, and several tears of frustration and fatigue leaked out. I had mercy and cleaned up most of it. Rose said tons of judges viewed and liked her science fair project. She said she overheard some kids she didn't know very well talking at the science fair:
"Are you friends with Rose?" one of them asked the other.
The first kid answered: "Who isn't friends with Rose? She's one of the nicest people I know!"
Rose said that was very gratifying to hear and made her very happy. It made me happy too!
There were two high school track meets this week: Jeff was hired to time the JV meet in Yakima on Thursday night. He was out till nearly 11pm, and he had tales to tell of troubleshooting and clever rigging of the sensitive timing equipment afterwards. I was half asleep in bed when he called me on his way home. Jeff uses the funds from this paid timing gig to get more gear for the track team--the high school team is so big this year that he needed to get more uniforms. It's crazy.
Track practice went well on Friday. The team had fun playing capture the flag for game day, then we divided into two groups: throws and yoga. The kids doing yoga with me giggled and laughed the whole time, talking and joking with each other. It was happy. At the end of practice each day, we gather as a team for final announcements and positivity. I called on 5 kids to say a positive that they saw at practice, and they willingly volunteered, giving each other compliments. I love ending practice on a positive note like that, and I can tell the kids like it too, which makes me happy.
Jay and Rose competed in the varsity high school track meet on Saturday in Wenatchee. Both ran a DMR--distance medley relay--and Jay's team qualified for a big meet in Pasco next month! Jay also ran the 1600 in a season best of 5:14. He is shredding away at that 5 minute barrier that he wants so badly! Rose threw a huge 7 foot PR in the discus. She threw a PR of 62 feet in the prelims and then threw an even bigger PR of 69'4'' in the finals! Having Grampa Dan as her throws coach is working great! Rose placed 7th overall in the discus--2nd place freshman in the meet. She was so happy!
Since the meet was far far away in Wenatchee and since our yard was looking shaggy and desperate, Amber and I stayed home to kick off the yardwork season together on our 3 acre patch of earth. I worked for almost 5 hours straight, and Amber mowed for 3 hours. Our homestead is looking far more trim, but I paid the physical toll of jumping into that much yardwork headfirst with bone-deep fatigue on Saturday afternoon.






























1 comment:
1. You are truly a most capable, fix-it-yourself property owner, battling weeds, grass, gophers, pigeons, and equipment failures! (…and raspberries😁)
2. Who doesn’t like Rose! So true!
3. Cow murals👍
Post a Comment