Thursday, May 20, 2010

Sometimes I amaze myself…

The best way to stay sane when you have a job-hunting-transitional-uncertainty is to stay busy and learn new things!

What I’m working on:

  • Juggling—I wonder if I’m ready to move up to 4 bean bags?
  • Sewing—I am working on a dress… the only things left to do are the zipper, the buttons, and the hem, but they seem rather daunting so I’ve been putting it off. When I finish the dress, it may take some courage to post a picture of it because it’s pretty frumpy and I doubt I’ll ever wear it except maybe on Halloween!
  • French—The French workbook I ordered just came in the mail, so I’ll be starting ce jour
  • Bread—I make all of our bread, buns, rolls, tortillas, etc.
  • Cooking—I try to attempt at least one new recipe per week. So far, my favorite sources of inspiration are: www.allrecipes.com and http://simplysogood.blogspot.com
  • Running—That road race I ran 2 weeks ago somehow tempted me into training for a sub-20 minute 5k. Jeff helped me plan out a training regime for the summer so I can make an attempt at that elusive time on Labor Day. (running a legitimate sub 20 minute 5k is one of my life goals) We’ll see how it goes!
  • Music—I decided to pick up my dear ole violin a few months ago. Boy am I rusty! I’ve been practicing 4-5 days a week and it is slo-o-owly coming back to me. I play fun fiddle tunes, hymns, and I’m also working on a Handel Sonata (it’s tricky!) Thankfully Jay is not opposed to my playing, even if he does hate blenders and other unpleasant sounds. Maybe that means I don’t sound quite so bad? I’m too scared to ask our neighbors what they think, though, and I always practice when Jeff is NOT home.
  • Pedestrian—Jay and I enjoy walking around here because of the gorgeous weather. I do 80% of my errands on foot. It’s great!
  • Housekeeping—I only pick up Jay’s toys after he goes to bed each night (what’s the point of doing it over and over?). But I am getting pretty disciplined about keeping the dishes washed (some day we will have a dishwasher…or some day Jay will be big enough to do it…). Having a clean kitchen really reduces my stress SO MUCH!
  • Memorizing—Although I’ve slacked off lately, I have a goal to memorize all of my favorite scriptures. I have a little Book of Mormon that I ONLY highlight scriptures that I’ve memorized. It’s a good spiritual and brain exercise.
  • Reading—We may not have access to a library (stupid city limits—don’t get me started), but I still enjoy good books! I borrow them when I can or mooch off of other peoples’ library cards. My latest joy is Anne of Green Gables, as you know. I’m on book#2 now.
  • Netflix—We love our $10/month Netflix subscription!! Lately, we have been watching the Star Trek Next Generation seasons 1 DVD at a time. A classic. Sorry, Captain Kirk.
  • Mommying-And of course, I play with my cute little boy all the time too! (ummm...he's at my knee crying right now...)

So there you have it! I usually post about Jay or specific events, so I thought I’d change it up and do a 100% self-centered post. I love my life. It's good. Don’t you feel like you know me so much better now?

3 comments:

Feinmemmy said...

Wow, you certainly stay busy!

I went to that recipe blog you posted--it looks amazing! The chocolate coconut banana muffins...wow. Mouthwatering. I wish I was brave enough to actually try some of these recipes...

Lost in this Moment said...

Shaina, that dress won’t be frumpy at all! That style is so popular right now—put a cute wide belt on it and you’ll be rockin’! You’ll have to post pictures when it’s done. I’m so happy you like Simply So Good! I am hooked. I’m making the Ancho Chile Steaks next week (subbing chipotle chile powder because it’s what I have on hand already). I really really really wish you lived closer. I really like you. And I haven’t met you! Someday a family gathering will allow us to meet... I hope!

Justin and Carissa said...

Wow! You are an inspiration to me. I find it difficult to do much of anything; Matthew is only happy when he has my undivided attention. But you have inspired me to try and do more. Anne of Green Gables are my all time favorite books in the entire world!!! So glad you are reading them. Good luck with all of the other things you are doing.