Monday, May 23, 2011

The Coolest Ward Name EVER that we’re really excited about

Sunday night we attended a special “fireside” meeting in Prosser, WA. There were 2 stake presidencies there and 2 wards. We knew a major change was a-brewing.

THE CHANGES:

  1. Our stake president released everyone in our ward from their callings all at once. It was kind of fun, raising our hands to thank each other for the good work all together. (hah--I lasted less than 5 months as Primary President)
  2. The boundaries of our ward were altered, more than doubling its size (before the change we were falling below 140 members, with only about 60 attending each Sunday).
  3. We switched STAKES from the Yakima, WA stake to the Kennewick, WA stake. Our stake center has the Columbia River Temple in its backyard now. Weehaw!
  4. We will be meeting in a different building (in Prosser)—adios, Sunnyside!
  5. Church for us now starts at 1pm (collective groan from all parents of toddlers and nursery leaders)
  6. Annnnnnd….drumroll……our ward’s name was changed from the plain ole Grandview Ward to the super new and exciting Rattlesnake Mountain Ward!

One of my first questions was: we have a mountain in our ward boundaries?? But we live in the Yakima valley! A quick Google image search revealed that this thing…

RS mtn

…is Rattlesnake Mountain! I sincerely hope the rattlesnakes stay on their mountain. [I also hope this isn’t photo-plagiarism, since I just got it off the internet]

RS mtn sunset

Since I’m on a roll, I’ll post one more stolen photo. Just like pictures of people, some angles are more flattering than others. This is Rattlesnake Mountain at sunset. Nighty-night, venomous serpents!

While it will be so nice to have enough people to fill church callings and make hymns sound full and rich during sacrament meeting, I confess that the bigger the group, the more intimidated I become when I have to speak or teach in church. Of course that’s the whole point—stre-e-e-e-e-tch the ole comfort zone.

All of these changes helped me notice how much the Lord is involved in running his church. He even notices and cares about what happens way out here in our seemingly-insignificant corner of Washington.

On the drive home from the fireside, Jeff and I kept saying “Rattlesnake Mountain Ward” over and over while giggling. (ok, I giggled. Jeff did the manly-version of giggle: he chuckled). Sunday, May 29th will be the new Rattlesnake Mountain Ward’s first-EVER meeting! So sweet. It’s fun being a part of something new.

3 comments:

Whitni Watkins said...

That's so exciting, that is where my Dad's parents and a good chunk of relatives live. ;-) Its beautiful there.

The Medrano's said...

Hahahaha! That name kind of sounds funny! Don't know if I like the time that we go, it's cutting into nap time for the kiddos:( Oh well, guess we'll have to manage!! I'm also sad that we won't be seeing some of our friends at church:( That means we'll have to have more girls night out so we can keep in touch with them!!

Pieces of me... said...

Don't get your hopes up too much, (wink, wink), they still might ask you to be the Prim. Pres... lol. This change is exciting and good for Grandview ward... we feel alittle displaced! Oh well. Really the thing I'm most happy about is everyone's support and excitement for the change. :0)