Saturday, October 22, 2011

Howl `n Scream Scram

We did a Halloween 5k today! Road races are one of my favorite Saturday activities, especially when they have a fun theme. Like run in your costume!

_IGP4291

Before we left, we got our game faces on. Fearsome highlanders ready to CHARGE.

IMG_1507   IMG_1508

Off to get our race numbers. I like how you can see all those lovely pleats flaring out on the kilts from behind. Dear Steph came to watch Jay and Rose. She is such a good auntie.

IMG_1511  IMG_1509

Jay’s first race number. Sniff.  The number was almost too big for his shirt!

IMG_1512

For some reason we kept doing our growly faces for pictures. Here we are, all ready to go, go, go (as Jay would say).

IMG_1515

Jeff “ran” the Kooky Caper kids 1/4 miler with Jay. Jay is invisible in this picture behind Daddy. Isn’t that the best start line you’ve ever seen? Before each race started, they had everyone do a howl and a scream at the starting line. I kind of did a mixture between the two. It was a fun little detail.

IMG_1518

Annnnnd they’re off! Jay held Jeff’s hand and kind of trot-walked for most of the race. I think he was overwhelmed by all the crowds, costumes, and commotion. About 2/3 of the way through, Jeff picked Jay up and carried him for a little while. When Jay gets worried, he asks for a hug/pick-up. But on the homestretch, Jay got down and trotted on in. It was so cute. I think he got second to last in the 4 and under race. He got his participation ribbon and clutched it proudly the rest of the morning.

The finish!

Can you hear the guy on the speaker saying “nice kilt!”

IMG_1525

Next race: the 5k/10k. We did the 5k, and good thing too, because it was ULTRA windy, and our kilts were like big, flappy sails pushing us back. It was intense. But nobody ever said running in a kilt would be all fun and games. Just mostly.

IMG_1526

Jeff was at least a minute or more ahead of the field when he reached the finish line. The only problem was he approached it from the back—there was nobody to direct runners at a critical FORK in the path, so poor Jeff didn’t know he had to turn. He would’ve won. We’re counting it. He is super at knowing his pace/distance, so he’s pretty sure he ran a 5k even going the wrong way, and his time was 17:08. Go husband, go!

IMG_1527

As for me, I didn’t make any wrong turns, but I did make a potentially wrong choice. I decided to go full-throttle from the gun and see how long I could hold on.  The answer to that remains unknown because I ran with the wind for the first half and against it in that billowing kilt for the second half. But I think it’s safe to say that my full throttle only lasts about a mile  right now. The good news is I ran my fastest mile in 4 years during this race! I did the first mile in 6:15 (8 seconds faster than my current best). Then I ran 6:54 and 7:33 for the last 2 miles—talk about major drop off! The so-called last tenth of the 3.1 mile race was closer to a quarter mile or more, so my time ended up being 22:57. But the surprise was I WON! Top girl. Don’t worry, I won’t let it go to my head. They nearly strangled me trying to lasso the medal around my neck when I crossed the line.

IMG_1531

Our friends the Shafers were there too! They live in the Tri Cities area (we knew them back in our College Place/Walla Walla days). I was Luke’s primary teacher back then. Luke won the age 5-8 kids half miler. We were both champions together. The Shafers are one of my favorite families. It was great to see them again.

IMG_1536 IMG_1546

For the record, here’s Jay with his ribbon. And here’s what even all that wind didn’t manage to reveal. My lucky pink shorts remained hidden thanks to my massive well-wrapped and belted kilt.

IMG_1579

The race shirts are giant and crazy, but I wouldn’t expect anything less from any race called the Howl n Scream Scram and Kooky Caper.

1 comment:

Feinmemmy said...

Congrats on being first! Your family's dedication to running amazes me (I don't like to run for anything but chocolate or emergencies), and I'm so impressed that you're passing your passion on to your kids in such a fun way! You'll definitely have to keep Jay's number in a memory box :-)