Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Styro-snow

Have I ever mentioned my dislike of styrofoam? It gives me chills. The sound of two pieces of styrofoam rubbing together is worse than fingernails on a chalkboard. Even lower than that on my list is the sound of a plastic spoon scraping the bottom of a styrofoam cup. SHUDDER. Ear-cringe. Leave the room till it’s over.

IMG_5300

Our beautiful new kitchen table was delivered today. It came in a BIG, battered box. And it was well-padded with…you guessed it, STYROFOAM! I’m glad that our table didn’t have a scratch on it, but that white stuff it was swathed in turned our family room into a blizzard. It would’ve been fine if I had been able to quickly dispose of the stuff right away. But I was busy putting the legs on the table and admiring how it looks with the chairs pushed in.

IMG_5285

I knew that Jay and Rose were playing with the styrofoam, but when I looked over, they had already crumbled a small pile so I figured I may as well let them play happily for a while before boring-mama came and broke up the party.

IMG_5288

As usual, my children surpassed my expectations and created a spectacular snowstorm of styrofoam (say that 5 times fast). Oddly enough, the styrofoam bits weren’t Whiteguys, they were ewoks.  Jay kept saying “I’m making ewoks, Mommy! There are too many to count!” 

IMG_5289

Finally I realized that I had to clean up the ewoks before the children started running around the house and scattering the pellets everywhere.

Cleaning up a billion bits of crumbled styrofoam is like trying to sweep up dust on the moon. Here’s what happened:

  • I tried brushing it off of the kids’ clothes. But it was too statically charged, so I had to strip them down and whip/shake their clothes out. This spread the chaos even further.
  • I had Jay take Rose into their room and close the door so I could deal with the mess without interference.
  • SO, I disposed of the box and remaining large pieces of styrofoam.
  • Next I tried sweeping up the stuff, but it just blew around and when I finally did get some into the dustpan and tried emptying it into the trash, it floated everywhere but where I wanted it to go:

IMG_5292

  • Enter: DIRT DEVIL. Why would I have even tried sweeping up the stuff on the carpet at all—why not just vacuum it up in the first place? I had JUST vacuumed the whole house a few hours before this incident, so I was burned out on vacuuming. And my distant days as a Wendy’s employee schooled me in the art of carpet-sweeping with a regular ole broom, so I thought it was possible. Well, sweeping carpet didn’t work well on smooshed french fries then, and it definitely didn’t work well on floaty styrofoam pellets now.
  • Thankfully, the Dirt Devil isn’t just for dirt. By the time I finished, the vacuum was full to the brim with white stuff:

IMG_5295

  • But the front and sides of the vacuum had little white bits static-ed to it so I had to take the hose out and vacuum the vacuum.
  • Then I vacuumed up the stuff that fell out of the trash, and finally the place was clean again.

I try to be patient and allow my kids to be messy, but this time I think it may have been better to intervene earlier. One thing that’s for sure: this is probably the last time that I vacuum TWICE in one day!

IMG_5305

By the way, here’s what it all looks like now. We still have that box full of all the pictures I haven’t hung yet hiding over there by the bench, and there are no light fixtures in the ceiling yet. I have plans to paint the walls in there a happy yellow and hang some airy curtains up. The only thing that I don’t like about the table is the grooves in it—I like the way they look, but I know it’ll be a pain to scrub sticky stuff out of them. Other than that, I think it’s pretty pretty.

2 comments:

Feinmemmy said...

Doesn't new furniture make you fell all grow'd up? We bought our kitchen table shortly before Jack was born, and it was so beautiful...for a while. If I was more diligent about getting rid of the "sticky" it would probably still be beautiful...
I can't wait to see what the kitchen looks like painted! Yellow is always so cheery :-)

Pieces of me... said...

LOL, that just makes me laugh because that is exactly what happens at our house! The peanuts sent in packages too end up all over our house. Those kids ;)... love the table by the way :)