Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A White New Year

Happy 2013! Did I mention that it snowed while we were away for Christmas? It snowed a whole heap. We’ve noticed some genius snowmen around town: one with a push-broom brush moustache, one with a basketball for a head, a family of 6 tall snowmen in one yard, a snow-Santa hitched up to a snow-Rudolph, and my favorite, a giant snow teddy bear. Citizens of Grandview, I salute you. I was sad that we missed the Christmas Snow when it was fresh and fluffy. Thankfully, however, the snow was still lingering a week later, and we finally went out to play in it this morning as our first WHOLESOME RECREATIONAL FAMILY ACTIVITY of 2013.

IMG_7145

I slipped my camera into my coat pocket and brought it along for the fun. It took us a solid half hour to get all four of us bundled sufficiently. I love kids in snowsuits. The sweetest marshmallows you ever squeezed.

IMG_7143

We trudged across the front yard, through the gate, across the back yard, through another gate, under the net, and finally arrived at our destination: the high school’s wide, unspoiled, snowy soccer field.

IMG_7148

IMG_7147

IMG_7156

IMG_7155

IMG_7159

IMG_7157

IMG_7161

Jeff went straight to work gathering snow to help Jay make a snow fort.

IMG_7163

IMG_7165

While we were waiting for Jeff, I made a snow-couch. Jay and Rose each held a chunk of ice like touchscreens while they sat on the snow-couch.

IMG_7174

Then we made a little snowman, or a Shoh-shty (Frosty) as Rose calls them. Rose kept poking him with her stick and knocking him over, so it took a while. The snow was slightly crunchy from 4 or 5 sunny afternoons and evening freezes, so it was kind of uncooperative for building.

IMG_7169

IMG_7179

Meanwhile, the snow-fort progressed…

IMG_7176

It turned into a snow tunnel.

IMG_7178

IMG_7184

Rose went through the tunnel first and panicked half way through. Jeff had to pull her the rest of the way out. Jay wriggled his way through once too. He said “I slithered like a snake!”

IMG_7186

Rose’s wimpy mittens were freezing and soaked, and her poor fingers were bright red and icy-cold. I gave her my big warm gloves, and we headed inside.

IMG_7187

Pobrecita! We all had hot chocolate and New Year’s cracker dips for lunch. Mmm: Warm Bacon-Mushroom dip, Hot Toasted Almond Swiss dip, Artichoke dip, annnnd of course, Killer Dip. I threw in some carrots and PB celery to balance the nutrition out a smidgen. Oh, and there was also my yearly indulgence of Chex Muddy Buddies mix. Rose is SO my daughter—we both adore Muddy Buddies! There’s speckled white sugary evidence all over our clothes and kitchen.

IMG_7203

We built our little snowman far out in center field so we would be able to see him from our windows. This is a full-zoom camera shot from our kitchen window. He’s so cheerful-looking. I like having him there.

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Jessie and Austin said...

I love that snowman! I want one to smile at me from my back window too.