2011
2013
But our printer is on the fritz and I needed to print out Jay's birthday interview, so I uploaded it online to be printed at the FedEx store in Kennewick, which is half an hour from the Twin Sisters. It was a last minute decision to make it a family outing for our Monday night family night. So I grabbed a few essentials (milk, crackers, diaper bag, camera, sunglasses), and we left at 4:30pm. I kept thinking "we're crazy! Driving an hour away from home at 4:30 on a school night!" But it was liberating! And exciting! I don't know what it is about last minute outings, but I love the spontaneity. There's no time to fret, overthink, or second guess. For once we left 7pm bedtime and dinner at home OUT of it and rolled out for a weeknight family adventure. We listened to Harry Potter #5 on CD while we drove. I picked up the birthday interview page, and we swung through the Arby's drive thru because it was in the same parking lot as the FedEx store. Overpriced roast beef sandwiches and curly fries all around! We were all fueled up and rarin' to go when we pulled into the small parking area at the Twin Sisters. Jay was quite reluctant to go on this entire excursion in the first place, but when he saw where we were, he immediately perked up and said "I remember this place!"
The late afternoon sun was pure gold, drenching everything in a warm glow. The temperature was in the seventies--perfect for lounging in the sand. We hiked the short trail to the rugged sandy area with views of the Twin Sisters, the Columbia River, rugged cliffs, sandy dunes, and various scrubby sage-y desert plants. It's basically a giant sandbox, and the kids can wander far and wide in relative safety.
Jumpin' Jay, age 7 minus a week
2013: Jumpin' Jay, age 4 and a week.
Five-year-old Rose cautiously making the jump.
2013: Two-year-old Rose making the jump
A wider view of the sandy area
As the sun sank, shadows from the Twin Sisters slowly crept over our sandy area.
Jeff took this artistic picture with the solitary basket awaiting its next mission. Jeff has such a good photographic eye--far superior to my own. I wish he could take all of our pictures!
Rose thought she could slide down the edge of the sand dune-bowl, but it was more of a slow-mo-scoot, leaving a nice streak.
I love Amber's wide stance. Plant those feet!
Sand angels!
Jay and Rose dug quite the deep hole. We filled it in before we left.
Jeff started playing around with the camera settings...
The camera got a tad sandy when I propped it up for these family pictures.
The big hollowed out dish of sand where we played was barely visible until we were on its edge--it's hiding in the shadows in this picture.
Eventually we hiked up to the base of the basalt pillars themselves. This was Jay's and Rose's first time going up there. They were cautious and a little nervous about falling off the steep rocky edge, but they survived. I still can't believe Jeff made that steep climb with Amber on his back in the baby basket.
We climbed up a little opening between the Twin Sister pillars so we could reach the maximum legal height.
It was a rush being up that high! We instructed Jay and Rose to tread very carefully--one slip could send them cascading down the side. It was slightly nerve-wracking to guide Rose around one of the pillars with that drop looming to the right.
Leaning on one of the Sisters, with the Columbia River in the background. Jay was concerned about the sheer dropoff in front of him.
Steep descent--the kids did lots of slipping in the rocky dust.
Views, sand, sunshine, family--it was a beautiful afternoon. We got home at 8:30pm (gasp). About ten minutes before we arrived back home, Amber (who had been moaning for the majority of the drive) started barfing in the back seat. She stayed up till 11pm puking intermittently, poor girl. Goodbye, serenity. It was so good while it lasted!
{2013 and 2016}




1 comment:
Great batch of photos!!
I love your picture-full posts! And your comparison photos from different years. And Jumping Jay. And Rose's radiant smile. And Amber's sturdy legs. And Jeff with the basket. And SAND ANGELS !
Post a Comment