Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Ode to Jay

In January this year, I started teaching Jay piano lessons. It's been the blind leading the blind-er the whole six months, haha! But he did make some progress. We almost made it to the grand staff, but school ended before we got there and let's be honest, piano lessons during summer? Not gonna happen! I have never taught anyone how to play an instrument before, so it was a steep learning curve for both of us. The teacher duets at the bottom of each song were usually a little too tricky for me to sight read, and I sure never managed to practice them! That was a fun piano element that Jay's low-functioning teacher couldn't provide. The main thing I should've done more of as the teacher, though, is prepare and read over the next section of his music books before the lessons--obviously, hah! But we did piano before school so often it was rather rushed. Jay practiced 10 minutes per day on weekdays. We started off nice and slow.



Here are the final two songs he learned, complete with the usual background ruckus that accompanied most lessons and practice sessions. It's amazing he learned as much as he did with repeat WWF throwdowns on the couch behind him!




Speaking of pianos, my piano wall trio of 18 month old sweetfaces is complete at last:




No comments: