Wednesday, April 5, 2017

MOuting: Klondike Park

Missouri (MO) + outing = MOuting. 

Washington, Missouri (the town my sister and her family live in) is about 45 minutes outside of St. Louis. So there are tons of awesome things to do and see, both in the city and in the countryside. Some of our outings were local, and others were further afield. 

Small outings = in-town, eat lunch at home. 
Big outings = out of town, eating lunch or dinner away from home--either picnic or restaurant-style.

The first big outing we did in Missouri was to Klondike Park. I have been interested in it for years but this year--St. Patrick's Day 2017--was the first time we visited it. The place used to be a sandstone quarry, but now there's a lake in the old quarry-pit, with the softest powdery-est white sand sprinkled all around. Since spring green hadn't come to the trees yet when we were there, the white sand looked like snow, an illusion accentuated by the chilly temperatures which forced us into our winter coats. We brought a picnic and walked around the little lake, playing in the sand and throwing rocks in the water along the way. It was moderately stressful keeping Amber from going for a swim headfirst in the cold lake water, but I managed to keep a hold of her and she stayed dry.

Pictures: I used my phone and Em had her big fancy camera. So the artistic close-ups were taken by a professional and the snapshots were taken by my 3 year old cell phone (which I have since replaced and upgraded at long last).








 Jay loved the white sand so much, he wanted to take some home to show his class at school. I had to veto that proposition, so we took a picture of the sand in Jay's hands instead.

{the next 18 pictures were taken by Em}


 On the bridge--we almost lost a couple of two-year-olds when they ran ahead.

 I love how kids just plop down where they are and immediately start playing.

6/7 of the present cousins: AmyJane, Chase, Jay, Rose, Amber, and Dan (Steve was sitting in the van with a stomachache)

 Death grip on Amber's jacket while trying to smile for a cute picture with Rose.

 Boys with rocks, sand, sticks, and water: they know how to have fun.

After our little lake loop nature walk, the kids spotted two-swings next to a pavilion. The babies made a beeline! We kept calling Amber and AJ the babies, even though they are getting so old. I guess they will always be the babies, though, since they're both the youngest child in their families. 

 Chase was obsessed with collecting all of the rocks, and guarded his pile with the ferocity of a mother dragon. But that Chase-face is so awesome!

Amber and AmyJane were happiest if there was some space between them. They were so competitive that they didn't get along very well most of the time, sadly.

 But swinging makes everyone happy, and that Missouri humidity sure put the curls into their hair!

 Rose's grownup top teeth came in so fast, and I miss her toothless grin and lisping already.

 Hats off to Em--swinging pictures are not easy.

And back to my cell phone for the final three pictures--I love the expressions on Rose's and Amber's faces, and I love it when Rose pushes Amber on the swing.



No comments: