Cowiche Canyon is a 2.8 mile long dimple in the brown hills outside of Yakima. As one of the closest kid-friendly trails to our home (55 minutes away), it is very familiar. Cowiche Canyon holds none of the mystique, intrigue, or majesty of Mt. Rainier, but it was a much safer, less snowy, closer-to-home option for a February trail run. My healing ankle, though still definitely weak, held up nicely. This trail run inspired me to be more diligent about doing ankle strengthening exercises so I can be ready for the really fun trails (more rugged and more scenic) in a few months.
My run was relatively unremarkable. The canyon trail was pretty flat, running alongside Cowiche Creek. I did come across several long swaths of icy snow, which I carefully picked my way across. At about 2.3 miles down the trail, an extra long ice patch had me turn around early before finishing the entire canyon. On my way back, I took a path up the side of the canyon to a winery. The views were very windy, rugged, brown, and rocky, reminding me of Rohan from Lord of the Rings. One of these years, I am going to find a long creamy dress with big sleeves, let my long hair down, and stand on one of those rocky crests atop Cowiche Canyon. I will gaze into the distance with steely hope while my dress billows in the breeze and my hair flows back in a golden banner, just like Eowyn.
For now, I'll keep wearing pants and ponytails and stick with running.
These branches are a gorgeous deep red. I don't know what they're called, but I love that color popping out of the brownness.
The trail begins.
More red branches.
I love this grove of bone-white aspens, even in the wintertime.
The kids' favorite basalt rocks to climb.
Icy re-melted snow was a tad tricky. I took it slow to preserve my ankle.
Snow next to rushing water: always a thought-provoking contrast.
Tired of tiptoe-walking through the treacherous ice.
Elvis rock-head to the right.
Sky-hug at the top of the canyon! Where's my flowy white dress when I need it?
The trail ran along the edge of the canyon before finishing its ascent up and over to the winery.
That basalt fortress is basically Edoras, capitol city of Rohan.
The vineyard.
Ready to turn back because 1. I don't drink wine and 2. I didn't bring a mask.
Heading down the steep canyon wall was arguably harder than going up.
Almost done with my six miles!
That afternoon, I decided to coach cross country practice from the sidelines rather than run with the kids.


























1 comment:
I love your sky-hugs!
(I’m always impressed at your ability to get a sky-hug selfie at all, let alone the remarkably beautiful ones you get every time!)
Post a Comment