On my way home from dropping a van load of 6 kids off at FSY in Tacoma on Monday July 20th, I hiked to the Kendall Katwalk on the Pacific Crest Trail. It was my first time on this section of the PCT, so it was extra exciting to explore and add a new place to my list of best hikes within 2 hours of Sunnyside.
Walking along the Kendall Katwalk.
Maybe I'm selfish, but when I volunteer to drive youth from church to various camps and activities in the summer, I try to add in a little trail time on the way home. Last year after dropping girls off at young women's camp near White Pass, I ran 15 miles on the Wonderland Trail in Mt. Rainier National Park. That's when I ended up injuring my poor ankle tendons, which inspired my prime directive/fitness goal of 2026: Don't get injured.
This year when I was choosing where to go after dropping kids off at FSY, (For the Strength of Youth camp), I kept my prime directive in mind and tried to be cautious...but the best views require miles and climbs! I wasn't interested in shorter, tamer trails. So I made a compromise with myself: coddle the tendons! In other words, be smart and walk as much as needed. I didn't want to completely exchange my run for a hike because I didn't have a hiking buddy. I will run for hours all by myself, but hiking alone just seemed...sad.
The parking lot for the Pacific Crest Trail northbound out of Snoqualmie Pass was less than a mile from Interstate 90. (I could actually hear the faint roar of the cars on the freeway for the first 2 miles on the trail!) When I arrived at the trailhead, I took a solid 20 minutes to prep myself for the run. I greased myself half to death with layers of sunscreen and bug spray. I rolled out my legs with a muscle roller fondly known as the "pain stick." I even brought my Sidekick Axis Board and used it to balance on each foot to activate all of my lower leg and ankle muscles and tendons to prep them to run. I was meticulous! And it worked! I didn't get injured!
I started my run a little after 2pm--risky in the heat of the day, but the sun was cloaked by some light clouds interspersed with a thin layer of wildfire smoke, so even though I got sweaty, I did not overheat. I knew from my traditional extensive trail preview research that the first six miles were pretty much all uphill, and the maps did not lie in that regard. It was all uphill. At first I ran and walked as needed to catch my breath on the merciless climb, but within the first two miles, the trail became increasingly rocky and root-y and I found myself walking more and more. By the time I reached my turnaround point 6.3 miles up the trail at the Kendall Katwalk, I had run a cumulative 3 miles, 3.5 miles at most.
I was thankful that I had already decided not to take any ankle risks with running on rough terrain, because it made walking and thoroughly enjoying myself so easy. Apparently, a solo run that turns into a hike isn't nearly as lonesome as a planned solo hike! Also, when you're planning on running 12 miles and you get an unexpected free pass to just walk it instead, it feels amazing! Haha. The only strange part was that I'm not used to hiking in running clothes. This was my first trail of the year, and I was a little bit giddy. I paused and admired each view and flower that caught my eye. I took 195 pictures. I basked.
The Kendall Katwalk itself is a 150 yard stretch of trail that was blasted out of a steep rock face. Since the PCT goes on for thousands of miles, I needed a definitive turnaround point, and this was it. When I reached the end of the Katwalk, I stopped the trail run activity on my Garmin watch and started a hike for the return journey, officially saying farewell to any more running that day. It was a good call. I was able to cruise down that six miles back to the parking lot at a good clip. My run/hike up the trail (with lots of walk breaks and picture breaks) took 2 hours, and my hike back down was only 2 hours and 12 minutes.
It was my first time truly alone while hiking. No music, no friend, nothing but me, the rocks and the trees. Once I settled into a rhythm, I enjoyed the hike back to the car. I had cell phone reception for most of the trail, so I was able to answer a phone call from one of my "running daughters" (on our XC team and in our ward) and talk with her for a mile or so. Before I knew it, I was back at the parking lot! I stopped for some mediocre Thai food in Ellensburg halfway through my 2 hours drive home. I got home a little after 9pm.
Traditional trailhead picture!
I was giddy to be back on the PCT!
Lumpy bumpy roots gave me plenty of walk breaks on the 6 mile climb.
Rocks gave me even more walk breaks.
The "open talus" started at 2 miles, and the trail was quite rocky after that, with a few dips back into the trees.
These red rocks had so many shades of color and texture in them.
I think that's called Red Mountain. The trail also had views of Lundin Mountain and Kendall Peak, but I'm not sure which one was which out of all the mountain scenery I saw.
I brought my camera remote, so taking pictures was pretty easy once I propped my phone on a rock. I quickly realized that I am better at being silly than serious, and I snapped a few pictures of me laughing at myself after trying to take a serious picture. The silly pictures are way more on brand for me.
No matter how I look at it, this rock reminds me of an altar, even though I know it's meant to be a bench for hikers.
Walking the ridgeline of the Cascades is always a thrill!
The Kendall Katwalk! (above and below)
This was a nice little touch by a past hiker.
This was as serious as I could get for a picture.
There were some wildflowers along the trail, but I wouldn't say there were a lot. Just a regular amount. They were pretty though!
That's Interstate 90 in the background behind these Cascade Penstemon flowers (I just looked them up).
Pine trees feel so calm and wise.
Soaking up a little evergreen peace and wisdom.
This small marmot was not as shy as I want a trailside rodent to be.
Maybe this is Lundin Mountain? I don't know.
Back at the parking lot by 7pm: it was twilight in the trees.
I drove home with my soul full of scenery.






















































1 comment:
You are the CUTEST! Great photos, as always—Thank you for giving me all the joy of the scenery without any of the work of hiking. Love that sky hug! I’m glad your prime directive preserved your tendons. 😁 May your soul remain full of scenery for many days!🌲⛰️⛰️🌲
Post a Comment